Re: 2.6.[45]-.*: weird behavior

From: Grzegorz Kulewski
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 17:17:11 EST

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, R. J. Wysocki wrote:

> On Saturday 03 of April 2004 21:50, Grzegorz Kulewski wrote:
> > On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, R. J. Wysocki wrote:
> [...]
> > Can you attach config files for both the AMD64 and the laptop?
>
> The config for the laptop is attached, the other one must wait. If you think
> of what they have in common, there's not much.

Ok, some questions to that config file. Why do you have:
- scsi emulation
- scsi
- both generic ide options
- large block devices (2TB)?

Can you post:
- distro name and version
- dmesg or log at the end of testing - better after such kb lock if you
can reproduce, maybe after some stressing to see if any unnormal messages
appeared
- lspci -v
- lsmod
- mount
- hdparm hdparm -iIvtT for all drives
- some files from /proc describing configuration if you think they are
important.

Does any process sleep in D state in ps output all the time or bechaves
strangely? If so, maybe you should find and apply the patch for kernel
stack for each process in /proc (it was included in wolk for example) and
check what kernel function is causing the waits (for example I found some
usb problems causing D state lock of processes using some usb ioctls).

If it all does not help, maybe you should compile kernel with all debug
and kernel hacking options to see if some driver does not lock the kernel
and sleep or something like that, or possibly try to find what changeset
between 2.6.3 and 2.6.4 broke your setup :)

good luck

Grzegorz Kulewski