Re: [RFC, PATCH] netlink based mq_notify(SIGEV_THREAD)

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 15:46:03 EST

jamal wrote:

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 14:42, Manfred Spraul wrote:

mq_notify(SIGEV_THREAD) must be implemented in user space. If an event is triggered, the kernel must send a notification to user space, and then glibc must create the thread with the requested attributes for the notification callback.

I am ignorant about SIGEV_THREAD but from what i gathered above:

- something (from user space??) attempts to create a thread in the
kernel
- the kernel sends notification to user space when said thread is
created or done doing something it was asked

No - this part is wrong.

- something (in glibc/userspace??) is signalled by the kernel to do
something with the result

This is correct.

mq_notify is a function from the posix message queue interface:
It allows user space to request that a notification should be sent if a new message is waiting in the message queue. There are two options for the notification: a signal or a callback that should be called in the context of a new thread.
Signals are trivial, but calling a function in the context of a new thread is tricky: the kernel can't create new user space threads.
Thus the kernel interface for mq_notify with sigev_notify==SIGEV_THREAD is an asynchroneous interface: the initial syscall just registers something and if a message arrives in the queue, then a notice is sent to user space. glibc must then create a SuS compatible interface on top of that.

The problem is how should I sent the information that a message is waiting to user space?

The current implementation in Andrew's -mm tree uses single shot file descriptor - it works, but it's resource hungry.

Essentially you attempt to open only a single fd via netlink as opposed
to open/close behavior you are alluding to, is that correct?

Yes.

then all events are unicast to this fd. I am assuming you dont need to
have more than one listener to these events? example, could one process
create such a event which multiple processes may be interested in?

Correct, always only one process interested in the notification.

Attached is a new proposal:
- split netlink_unicast into separate substeps
- use an AF_NETLINK socket for the message queue notification

I am trying to frob why you mucked around with AF_NETLINK; maybe your
response will shed some light.

I'm looking for the simplest interface to send 32 byte cookies from kernel to user space. The final send must be non-blocking, setup can block. Someone recommended that I should look at netlink. netlink_unicast was nearly perfect, except that I had to split setup and sending into two functions.

--
Manfred