2.4 - can't open a custom char device file

From: Ron Gage
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 11:06:02 EST

Hi folks.

I am working on a PCMCIA module for an industrial communications interface under
Linux (Specifically, the Allen Bradley PCMK). Let's just say that the driver I
wrote is having issues, what I believe to be kernel related issues.

As near as I can tell, the card is being initialized correctly with the PCMCIA
layer without incident. My driver is registering the device as major 240, and
according to /proc/devices, the device is showing up as major 240.

My device file is created as a char device at major 240, minor 0. As near as I
can tell, I do have a file-operations struct filled in and have no indications
that this struct is incorrect. I do have a defined open routine that
essentially increments the module use count and exits.

Problem is that any attempt to open the device file causes the kernel to return
error #6 - Device or Address not found - when the device is showing up in
/proc/devices and according to kernel messages I have in the driver, is
installed and initialized.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could be doing wrong here?

Driver source is available from
ftp://ftp.rongage.org/pub/pcmk/pcmk_v0.0.0.tar.gz

I have already consulted with David Hinds (PCMCIA leader) and he is stumped.

--
Ronald R. Gage
MCP, LPIC1, A+, Net+