Exploring sigqueue leak (was: Strange 'zombie' problem both in 2.4 and 2.6)

From: Nikita V. Youshchenko
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 07:08:51 EST

Hello.

Yesterday I posted to linux-kernel describind a problem that caused both
2.4 and 2.6 kernels to leave lots of zombies.
I analysed the problem and found it is caused by overflow of 'sigqueue'
slab cache (I may be wrong in terminology here). Details are in my

Now I'm looking for advice from somebody who understands how stuff in
linux/signal.c works.

[the following ins about unpatched 2.6.4 kernel]

Seems that 'sigqueue' objects are allocated exactly in 2 places: in
__sigqueue_alloc() and in send_signal().

__sigqueue_alloc() seems to be used only by sigqueue_alloc();
sigqueue_alloc() seems only to be used by alloc_posix_timer() from
kernel/posix-timers.c;
alloc_posix_timer() is a static function used only by sys_timer_create()
syscall handler.
This syscall is not one widely used; I'm not sure it it is actually used by
anything running here.

So the leak seems to happen through allocation of 'sigqueue' objects in
send_signal().
However, if I understand correctly, object allocated here keeps information
about signal being transferred, and lives as long as this tranfer is in
progress.
Signal transfer is somewhat very fast.
So, if everything is working ok, usually zero 'sigqueue' objects should be
allocated.

Seems that it is possible to find out how many 'sigqueue' objects are
currently allocated by running
grep sigqueue /proc/slabinfo
and looking at the first number of output.
So seems that almost always the first number in the output of the above
command should be zero.
And that's exactly what happens on all hosts here expect the server.

Just after reboot and starting all services, the number on the server was
135. Later it changes, sometimes getting down to about 40, sometimes
rising to something about 200. It is never becoming zero.

And after some time, when happens what I've described in the previous
postings, it gets up to 1024 and stays there forever, causing some
user-space visible misbehaves. The zombie keeping is not the only one.
Other is strange and definitly incorrect failures inside threaded
programs.

I thought that some 'sigqueue' objects could correspond to pending signals
that are blocked by their reciever processes. However, I can't see any
pending signals running
grep SigPnd /proc/*/status
- all displayed masks are zeroes, while there are more than 100 allocated
'sigqueue' objects.

So that's what I found.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, and/or advice where to look for the leak.

Nikita