Re: epoll reporting events when it hasn't been asked to

From: Ben Mansell
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 04:06:58 EST

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Steven Dake wrote:

> > > What should the application do if it gets events that it didn't ask for?
> > > If you choose to ignore them, the next time epoll_wait() is called it
> > > will return instantly with these same messages, so the app will spin and
> > > eat CPU.
> >
> > Shouldn't the application handle those exceptional conditions instead of
> > ignoring them?
>
> If an exception occurs (example a socket is disconnected) the socket
> should be removed from the fd list. There is really no point in passing
> in an excepted fd.

Is there any difference, speed-wise, between turning off all events to
listen to with EPOLL_MOD, and removing the file descriptor with
EPOLL_DEL? I had vaguely assumed that the former would be faster
(especially if you might later want to resume listening for events),
although that was just a guess.

Ben