Re: Upgrade from 2.4.25 to 2.6.4 kernel

From: Mark
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 17:27:18 EST

On April 1, 2004 03:49 pm, "Job 317" <job317@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> Can someone please point me to a HOWTO on installing a 2.6.x kernel on a
> system that heretofore runs a 2.4.x kernel?

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799

BTW Google is your friend here. Do a search for 2.6 HOWTO and that link is the
first one on the list.

> NOT a howto on building the kernel. I'm o.k. there. But I understand
> that it is not the same upgrading to a 2.6.x kernel as it is just
> upgrading to the next 2.4.x kernel. Is this correct?

No, a 2.6 kernel will run without changes to RedHat 9 but some changes should
be made.

> Aren't there
> startup scripts and things that rely on the 2.4.x structure that change
> slightly for a 2.6.x kernel?

Yes, check out the link above. There are also some links to RedHat 9 specific
instructions.

> !!!!Also... is it possible to still to boot back to a 2.4.x kernel in
> this case?

Yep you can still run a 2.4.x kernel.

> Lets say I keep my 2.4.25 kernel that I built on my RedHat 9
> box. Can I also boot to and from my 2.6.x kernel?

Yes

--
Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com