Re: who is merlin.fit.vutbr.cz?

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 01:49:52 EST

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 05:08:29PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:

> Folks, I need your help.
>
> I can't tell if this is a DOS attack or someone with a REALLY slow net
> connection. Whoever this is has been cloning the linux 2.6 (aka 2.5)
> tree on bkbits so slowly that the tree is locked for days and can't
> be updated. About once a day I go kill the clone because stracing it
> shows it doing nothing.

[snip]

> Anyway, we've suffered more than enough bad press so before I
> assume that this host is a rogue and filter them, does anyone know who
> merlin.fit.vutbr.cz is? If they really have that slow of a connection
> we'll burn a CD and Fedex it to them, nobody should suffer that much.
> But if this is just a DOS, we'll nuke 'em.

.cz: Czech Republic
.vutbr: Technical University of Brno
.fit: Faculty of Information Technology
merlin: a Linux server serving home directories and login accounts to
students

So it's likely a student doing the 'bk clone'.

What's surprising is that merlin shouldn't have a slow network
connection - quite the opposite - it's near the academic backbone of the
Czech Republic (a 2.5 gbit/sec pipe).

But maybe something doesn't work correctly - some NAT or MTU problem
stopping the communication ...

Or it's indeed an evil student.

The administrative contact for that machine is linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hope this helps.