Re: route cache DoS testing and softirqs

From: Dipankar Sarma
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 15:49:47 EST

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 12:49:02AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 02:22:10PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> > Otherwise, keep in mind what I said, and also as Robert mentioned every
> > single local_bh_enable() is going to call do_softirq() if the count falls
> > to zero.
>
> I was less concerned about the do_sofitrq in local_bh_enable, since that
> runs in a scheduler-aware context, so at least the timeslice is
> definitely accounted for and it'll schedule at some point (unlike with
> an hardirq flood). Actually the length of the default timeslice matters
> too here, lowering the max timeslice to 10msec would certainly reduce
> the effect.

That is there in my list of things to test.

> call_rcu_bh will fix the local_bh_enable too. The only problem with
> call_rcu_bh is how to queue the tasklets in every cpu (an IPI sounds
> overkill at high frequency, because effectively here we're running the rcu
> callbacks in a potential fast path). OTOH if we've to add a spinlock to
> queue the tasklet, then we might as well take a spinlock in the routing
> cache in the first place (at least for this workload).

I don't do any of this. I just have a separate quiescent state counter
for softirq RCU. It is incremented for regular quiescent points
like cswitch, userland, idle loop as well as at the completion
of each softirq handler. call_rcu_bh() uses its own queues.
Everything else works like call_rcu().

Thanks
Dipankar