Re: Sound on newer arima notebook...

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 10:13:44 EST

Hi Pavel,

At Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:52:06 +0200,
Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> ...seems to work okay, except that mixers are strangely renumbered in
> aumix. PCM2 has to be set to high if I want to hear something. Master
> volume does not do anything.

tuning ac97_quirk option will help.
(perhaps ac97_quirk=1)

> Dmesg tells me:
>
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.2c (Thu Feb 05 15:41:49 2004 UTC).
> via82xx: Assuming DXS channels with 48k fixed sample rate.
> Please try dxs_support=1 or dxs_support=4 option
> and report if it works on your machine.
> PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:11.5 to 64
> usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
> codec_read: codec 0 is not valid [0xfe0000]
> codec_read: codec 0 is not valid [0xfe0000]
> codec_read: codec 0 is not valid [0xfe0000]
> codec_read: codec 0 is not valid [0xfe0000]

these messages appear sometimes on some via boards.
i don't figure out yet what's wrong. it's often harmless.

> ALSA device list:
> #0: VIA 8235 at 0x1400, irq 22
>
> With dxs_support=1 mixers were also renumbered, maybe in slightly
> different way.

dxs_support option is irrelevant with the mixer configuration.
it's for PCM set up. check whether 44100Hz playback works with
dxs_support=1. if it's ok, please let us know the pci subsystem id,
so that it will be enabled as default.

--
Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> ALSA Developer - www.alsa-project.org