Re: via 6420 pata/sata controller

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 20:35:01 EST

On Tuesday 30 of March 2004 15:24, Zdenek Tlusty wrote:
> hello,
>
> I have problem with via 6420 controller under linux (I have mandrake 9.1
> with kernel 2.4.25 with libata patch version 16).
> This controller has two sata and one pata channels. Sata channel works fine
> with libata. My problem is with pata channel. I have pata hard disk on this
> controller. Bios of the controller detected this disk but linux did not.
> What is the current status of the driver for this controller?
> Thank you for your time.

There are some patches floating around adding support for VT6410
(not VT6420) to generic IDE PCI driver. This controller may also work
with generic IDE PCI driver (PCI VendorID/ProductID needs to be added
to drivers/ide/pci/generic.h and drivers/ide/pci/generic.c).

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=186

"VIA want to make available code and other resources to appropriate open
source developers. The VIA Open Source Developer's portal currently accepts
requests for IDE and Networking development as well as the CLE266 display
adaptor."

Unfortunately it seems I'm not "appropriate" enough as I didn't get any reply.
:/

BTW Does anybody has contacts in VIA?

Regards,
Bartlomiej