Re: route cache DoS testing and softirqs

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 16:39:23 EST

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 01:30:00PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:14:50 +0200
> Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > There are no hardirqs in the case under investigation, remember?
> >
> > no hardirqs? there must be tons of hardirqs if ksoftirqd never runs.
>
> NAPI should be kicking in for this workload, and I know for a fact it is
> for Robert's case. There should only be a few thousand hard irqs per
> second.
>
> Until the RX ring is depleted the device's hardirqs will not be re-
> enabled.

then Dipankar is reproducing with a workload that is completely
different. I've only seen the emails from Dipankar so I couldn't know it
was a NAPI load.

He posted these numbers:

softirq_count, ksoftirqd_count and other_softirq_count shows -

CPU 0 : 638240 554 637686
CPU 1 : 102316 1 102315
CPU 2 : 675696 557 675139
CPU 3 : 102305 0 102305

that means nothing runs in ksoftirqd for Dipankar, so he cannot be using
NAPI.

Either that or I'm misreading his numbers, or his stats results are wrong.