Re: route cache DoS testing and softirqs

From: Dipankar Sarma
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 16:09:25 EST

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 10:47:32PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> I see what's going on now, yes my patch cannot help. the workload is
> simply generating too much hardirq load, and it's like if we don't use
> softirq at all but that we process the packet inside the hardirq for
> this matter. As far as RCU is concerned it's like if there a no softirq
> at all but that we process everything in the hardirq.
>
> so what you're looking after is a new feature then:
>
> 1) rate limit the hardirqs
> 2) rate limit only part of the irq load (i.e. the softirq, that's handy
> since it's already splitted out) to scheduler-aware context (not
> inside irq context anymore)

There were a number of somewhat ugly softirq limiting patches that
Robert tried out (not spitting them to scheduler-aware context) and some
combination of that worked well in Robert's setup. I will see if I can
revive that. That said, we would need to find out how badly we affect network
performance with that thing.

> 3) stop processing packets in irqs in the first place (NAPI or similar)
>
> however I start to think they can be all wrong, and that rcu is simply
> not suitable for purerely irq usages like this. w/o rcu there would be
> no need of the scheduler keeping up with the irq load, and in some usage
> I can imagine that it is a feature to prioritize heavily on the
> irq load vs scheduler-aware context.

Not necessarily, we can do a call_rcu_bh() just for softirqs with
softirq handler completion as a quiescent state. That will likely
help with the route cache overflow problem atleast.

Thanks
Dipankar