Re: [ACPI] Re: Linux 2.4.26-rc1 (cmpxchg vs 80386 build)

From: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 15:26:57 EST

Dnia Tuesday 30 of March 2004 22:05, Len Brown napisał:
> I can make sure that ACPI checks implicitly or explicitly
> that CMPXCHG is available -- but I can't make sure that
> some other random part of the kernel which may not have
> been written yet does. So I'd rather that they not build,
> like ACPI didn't.
Well, I asked for this because there is similar case with some DRI drivers in
kernel. These drivers use cmpxchg and some time ago it was not possible to
build them for i386 (and of course run on 486+). This AFAIK did not change.

These not yet written parts of kernel do not exist so nothing to worry about
right now. Anyway there always could be #warning for i386 - easy to catch
while compiling and would allow to fix that future kernel code then.

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz CS at FoE, Wroclaw University of Technology
arekm.pld-linux.org, 1024/3DB19BBD, JID: arekm.jabber.org, PLD/Linux