Re: older kernels + new glibc?

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 07:17:21 EST

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, DervishD wrote:

> Hi Richard :)
>
> * Richard B. Johnson <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> > For glibc compatibility you need to get rid of the sym-link(s)
> > /usr/include/asm and /usr/include/linux in older distributions.
> > You need to replace those with headers copied from the kernel
> > in use when the C runtime library was compiled. If you can't find
> > those, you can either upgrade your C runtime library, or copy
> > headers from some older kernel that was known to work.
> > In any event, you need to remove the sym-link that ends up
> > pointing to your 'latest and greatest' kernel.
>
> Mmm, I'm confused. As far as I knew, you *should* use symlinks to
> your current (running) kernel includes for /usr/include/asm and
> /usr/include/linux. I've been doing this for years (in fact I
> compiled my libc back in the 2.2 days IIRC), without problems. Why it
> should be avoided and what kind of problems may arise if someone
> (like me) has those symlinks?

The libc headers end up including kernel headers via the sym-links.
They must *only* use the headers with which libc was built. Therefore,
any sym-links should be removed and replaced with a copy of the
appropriate headers.

> User space programs should not use kernel headers, so this
> shouldn't be a problem, and kernel related tools should use the
> headers from the current (running) kernel or a similar version (here
> 'similar' as a broad meaning, I think, let's say that it means 'same
> series as the running kernel, but newer), but I'm afraid I'm missing
> something...
>
> Thanks in advance :)

Again, the C-library was built to work with certain structures
(for instance) that existed at the time it was built. Let's say
I use /usr/include/sys/stat.h to get the structure members of
'struct stat'. If I use the headers that existed at the time the
C library was built, all is fine. If I use the kernel headers
that exist now, the offsets may be incorrect because there have
may have been members added to that structure.

This comes about because the C library used kernel headers,
which it shouldn't have done in the first place.

FYI, you __never__ include C library headers when building
any kernel modules.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.24 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).