Re: [Lse-tech] [patch] sched-domain cleanups, sched-2.6.5-rc2-mm2-A3

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 02:59:58 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This works much better, but wildly varying (my tests go from 2.8xCPU to ~3.8x CPU for 4 CPUs. 2,3 CPU cases are ok). A bit more consistent results would be better though.

Oh good, thanks Ingo. Andi you probably want to lower your minimum
balance time too then, and maybe try with an even lower maximum. Maybe
reduce cache_hot_time a bit too.

i dont think we want to balance with that high of a frequency on NUMA
Opteron. These tunes were for testing only.

I guess not. Andi says he wants it more like UMA balancing though...

i'm dusting off the balance-on-clone patch right now, that should be the
correct solution. It is based on a find_idlest_cpu() function which
searches for the least loaded CPU and checks whether we can do passive
load-balancing to it. Ie. it's yet another balancing point in the
scheduler, _not_ some balancing logic change.

Yep, as I said to Martin, I also agree this is probably good if it
is done carefully. I think we'll need to get a horde of thread
benchmarking people together before turning it on by default, of
course.

It seems Andi can now get equivalent results without it now, so it
isn't a pressing issue.