Re: older kernels + new glibc?

From: Lev Lvovsky
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 16:56:13 EST

On Mar 29, 2004, at 1:50 PM, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Lev Lvovsky wrote:
I might be a bit confused here, but the problem with that, is that I'm
effectively working backwards. I've reverted the kernel version, but
all other applications have been kept of course - this means that
though I can keep those sym-links pointing to the correct kernel
headers (those which were present when glibc was compiled), the current
kernel (the reverted one) will obviously have different include files.

In order to compile the modules for the afformentioned hardware, those
symlinks need to point to the 2.2.x kernel directories - will this
break functionality of future compiled applications etc?

No No. Never! The modules never, ever, use glibc headers. Never!

The compilation should set the -I (include) parameter to point
to the kernel headers.

Something like:

VER := $(shell uname -r)
INC= -I. -I/usr/src/linux-$(VER)
DEF= -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE

gcc -c -Wall -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer $(INC) $(DEF) -m module.o module.c

sorry, that was my mistake in wording - the modules point to the kernel headers. However, the system as it was first made, had those directories symlinked to the 2.4.7 (?) kernel - I had to remove that package, and symlink the "asm", and "linux" directories to the 2.2.26 kernel directories of the same name - I'm assuming this is the correct thing to do? (it did work ;)

thanks,
-lev