Re: older kernels + new glibc?

From: Lev Lvovsky
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 16:38:57 EST

On Mar 29, 2004, at 1:17 PM, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

For glibc compatibility you need to get rid of the sym-link(s)
/usr/include/asm and /usr/include/linux in older distributions.
You need to replace those with headers copied from the kernel
in use when the C runtime library was compiled. If you can't find
those, you can either upgrade your C runtime library, or copy
headers from some older kernel that was known to work.

I might be a bit confused here, but the problem with that, is that I'm effectively working backwards. I've reverted the kernel version, but all other applications have been kept of course - this means that though I can keep those sym-links pointing to the correct kernel headers (those which were present when glibc was compiled), the current kernel (the reverted one) will obviously have different include files.

In order to compile the modules for the afformentioned hardware, those symlinks need to point to the 2.2.x kernel directories - will this break functionality of future compiled applications etc?

Drivers are a different problem. There is no possibility
of just compiling old drivers and having them work. Drivers
need to be modified for each kernel version major version
number and, sometimes, even minor version numbers.

right - luckily, at least so far, the modules and the applications that we have built for the hardware works on the newer (minor version update 2.2.14 -> 2.2.26) kernel.

thanks,
-lev