Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] Geometry determination

From: Szakacsits Szabolcs
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 08:52:16 EST

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:

> I have been experimenting a little with what Windows / Linux 2.4 / Linux
> 2.6 think the geometry of a couple of HDs is and the results are not
> very promising. )-:
>
> Using Linux 2.4, HDIO_GETGEO ioctl, I get the same Heads and Sectors per
> Track as Windows on both HDs I tried it on. This is the good news.
> I.e. at least on those two disks mkntfs as it stands now would create
> Windows bootable partitions.
>
> The bad news is that Linux 2.4, HDIO_GETGEO ioctl returns wrong values

You mean 2.6? That's what I'm saying also for a while. It's a known issue
and people are complaining about it because kernel breaks things (e.g.
they can't boot anymore and think Linux thrashed their systems).

I don't know who is the kernel maintainer today but apparently nobody.
Old maintainer, Andries Brouwer, only repeates that the geometry doesn't
exists even if he was/is proved and pointed out to be wrong many times.

The issue was discussed long, several times on linux-kernel without a
satisfying solution.

Szaka