Re: [Lse-tech] [patch] sched-domain cleanups, sched-2.6.5-rc2-mm2-A3

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 06:29:47 EST

Rick Lindsley wrote:
I've got a web page up now on my home machine which shows data from
schedstats across the various flavors of 2.6.4 and 2.6.5-rc2 under
load from kernbench, SPECjbb, and SPECdet.

http://eaglet.rain.com/rick/linux/sched-domain/index.html

I can't see it

Two things that stand out are that sched-domains tends to call
load_balance() less frequently when it is idle and more frequently when
it is busy (as compared to the "standard" scheduler.) Another is that

John Hawkes noticed problems here too. mm5 has a patch to
improve this for NUMA node balancing. No change on non-NUMA
though if that is what you were testing - we might need to
tune this a bit if it is hurting.

even though it moves fewer tasks on average, the sched-domains code shows
about half of pull_task()'s work is coming from active_load_balance() ...

Yeah this is wrong and shouldn't be happening. It would have been
due to a bug in the imbalance calculation which is now fixed.