Re: Status of the sata_sil driver for the VT8237

From: J. Ryan Earl
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 15:46:43 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

Do you really plan to get 300MB/sec from two disks? :)

Yes, for about 50-100ms at a time, and -to- the disks, not from them; well, the caches anyway. On 133MB/s PCI, more like 150-300ms of saturation on bursts, and shared with the NICs. I have very short and bursty I/O patterns as is typical in real-time applications. It's easier to guarantee latency when your pipes are always at a small fraction of their potential. 100ms higher latency, even for part of a second, is quite noticeable in what I serve.

-ryan

PS 2.6 dropped my latencies under load by about 90% over 2.4! We're talking 40-80ms application response time under high load to 8-10ms under high load. <3