Re: Temp problems amd xp

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 14:46:55 EST

Hi!

> > just wanna know if somebody has the same problem as me.
> >
> > i' m running an amd xp 3000+ on an epox board with nforce2-chipset. everything
> > was alright til i changeed from kernbel 2.6.3 to 2.6.4 3 days ago. since then
> > my cpu-temperature rised to 60-65 degrees, sometimes 73 degrees (while
> > compiling) and pc powered himself down then.
>
> Is it really a problem ? Simply raise the bios temperature limit and it's
> OK. My dual XP is between 65 and 75 degrees idle, and goes up to 93 during
> intensive compilations, and it's doing very well. Admittedly, you have to
> wait a *very* long time after power down to touch the heatsinks, but I don't
> need to do that anyway, and I prefer the sound of silence ;-)

So you raised thermal limit and disconnected fans? :-).

Pavel
PS: [With proper passive cooling, you might get away with that. I've
one athlon 900, whose fan now produces noise but not cooling. With
strategically placed piece of paper it produces no noise, but no
cooling either. ACPI thermal managment turns it into +/- usable
machine.

[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]