Re: OSS: cleanup or throw away

From: Jos Hulzink
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 05:40:34 EST

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, [iso-8859-2] Gábor Lénárt wrote:

> Or better: since both of OSS and ALSA are sound systems, let OSS maintainers
> start hacking ALSA, so missing parts in ALSA which presents in OSS can be
> implemented. Having one sound system would be better, especially in the
> official kernel tree. It's another story, if you have multiple one outside
> the "official" kernel source. imho.

Maybe we should start ditching OSS drivers of cards that are known to work
"reasonably well" in ALSA. If someone starts screaming "I need OSS for the
ALSA driver contains a bug", that bug might even be located and dealt with
much sooner. The ALSA OSS emulation is good enough for user land
applications to survive I think, so it's just a matter of driver bugs.

This way we end with a list of OSS drivers that are not ported yet or that
never will be ported.

OTOH, I don't know how the big bosses here think about ditching OSS
from a stable kernel tree... Can imagine they think it is not done.

Jos