Re: can device drivers return non-ram via vm_ops->nopage?

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 01:44:33 EST

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 10:26:39PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> I'm no longer planning on this. In fact, I see a future where I tell
> people who want to use sound on ARM to go screw themselves because
> there doesn't seem to be an acceptable solution to this problem.
> Of course, this will lead to dirty hacks by many people who *REQUIRE*
> sound to work, but I guess we just don't care about that.
> (Yes, I'm pissed off over this issue.)

I was really hoping I could help make things work for everyone
because they are not working for everyone now.

Unfortunately, now I also see a future without working sound drivers on
ARM and several others. I'm sorry. I tried, but I've completely run out
of ideas (hell, most of them weren't even mine to begin with, so that
goes back to even before I gave up) and thus far every possible method
of fixing this has been shot down.

... and here I thought fixing drivers was the Right Thing to Do (TM).

-- wli