Re: Makefile dependancies: scripts depending on configured kernel?

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 00:56:56 EST

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:16:07AM +1100, Michael Still wrote:

> Hey,
>
> the top level Makefile specifies that the scripts depend on the kernel
> being configured before the scripts can be built:
>
> scripts: scripts_basic include/config/MARKER
> $(Q)$(MAKE) $(build)=$(@)
>
> I think that this is probably a problem, because it means people can't
> build any of the documentation targets without having configured the kernel.

The dependency for docs is (now) wrong.
It should be:
# Documentation targets
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
%docs: scripts_basic FORCE
$(Q)$(MAKE) $(build)=Documentation/DocBook $@

docproc is the only binary used by Documentation/Docbook, and it is already
placed in scripts_basic.

Trivial - so I will include this in some other kbuild patch
I'm preparing.

> Do any of the scripts actually depend on a configured kernel to build?
Yes, several of the ninaries do so. Among others empty.o.

> How can I verify that none of them need a configured kernel? Commenting
> out the dependancy didn't break anything.
Test a bit more, and you will see they are indeed needed.
Note, some archs other than i386 have a bit different requirements
because thay do not use an asm-offsett.h file.

Sam