Re: ANYONE? Re: SMP + Hyperthreading / Asus PCDL Deluxe / Kernel2.4.x 2.6.x / Crash/Freeze

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 09:46:22 EST

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Richard Browning wrote:

> Gents
>
> Is there anyone in kernelland who is tackling this? I'm currently in the
> throes of recompiling everything with -march=pentium3 -O2 to see if these
> simple flags make a difference (as I reiterate, Windoze XP works without
> problem). I refuse to believe that I will have to use XP in order to get my
> money's worth. I've always thought anything Doze can do, GNU/Linux does
> better!

I have been using 2.4.24 with SMP and hyperthreading with no
problems. FYI, the reference to Windows is useless, because
M$ was unable to make any SMP stuff function without crashes
since windows 2000/professional, later Windows versions don't
use your additional CPUs at all, they just report that they
exist. FYI, see if you can find your CPU resources at all
in XP!!! They just don't want you to know!

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.24 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).