Re: finding out the value of HZ from userspace

From: Stefan Smietanowski
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 05:35:03 EST

Hi.

there is one. Nothing uses it
(sysconf() provides this info)

Seems to me that it would be fairly trivial to modify those programs
(that should use this mechanism but don't) to use it? So why should
they be allowed to dictate kernel behaviour?

quality of implementation; for example shell scripts that want to do
echo 500 > /proc/sys/foo/bar/something_in_HZ
or /etc/sysctl.conf or ...

Then write a simple program already. How hard is it to write a program
that does a sysconf() and returns (as ascii of course) just the
value of HZ? Then do some trivial calculation off of that.

How about a slightly more useful utility, like this:

$ getconf CLK_TCK
100
$ getconf OPEN_MAX
1024
$ getconf PATH_MAX /proc/
4096
$

Yes, yes, yes, I like that one actually.

It does solve the shell script issues and we've never said that things
don't need to adapt to changes before so I don't see why not now.

And that one would be good to have regardless of the HZ issue.

// Stefan