Re: [BENCHMARKS] 2.6.4 vs 2.6.4-mm1

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 03:13:31 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

your patch looks interesting.

I'll see if I can get some numbers for it soon.

wrt. making a fully scalable MM read side:

perphaps RCU could be used to make lookup access to the vma tree and
lookup of the pagetables lockless. This would make futexes (and
pagefaults) fundamentally scalable.

another option would be to introduce a rwsem which is read-scalable, but
this would pessimise writes quite as bad as brlocks did. I'm not sure
how acceptable that is.

It is a pretty silly benchmark. But I guess one day someone
is going to complain about mm scalability.