independence from ide master/slave

From: Pascal Maillard
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 07:59:46 EST

Hi list,

recently, I had changed my IDE disk from primary master to slave. I've got
SUSE, Debian and Windows XP installed on it. I was ashamed to see that
Windows loaded immediately, but the Linuxes didn't, because all of the
filesystems were thought to be on /dev/hda. So I asked myself if there should
not be device files that point to the _current_ hard disk (which should be
defined at startup by the kernel) and its partitions. This way, it wouldn't
matter which IDE channel a disk is connected to. What do you mean about this?

Please cc me!

cö,
Pascal Maillard