Re: True fsync() in Linux (on IDE)

From: Chris Mason
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 14:56:46 EST

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 14:36, Hans Reiser wrote:

> I hope I am totally off-base and not understanding you.... Please help
> me here.

Lets look at actual scope of the problem:

filesystem metadata
filesystem data (fsync, O_SYNC, O_DIRECT)
block device data (fsync, O_SYNC, O_DIRECT)

Multiply the cases above times each filesystem and also times md and
device mapper, since the barriers need to aggregate down to all the
drives.

In other words, just fixing fsync in 2.4 is not enough, and there is
still considerable development needed in 2.6. Maybe after all the 2.6
changes are done and accepted we can consider backporting parts of it to
2.4.

-chris