Re: [NFS] Re: Linux 2.4.25, nfs client hangs when talking to a MacOS nfs server.

From: Charles-Edouard Ruault
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 13:03:33 EST

On Mar 17, 2004, at 8:56 PM, Lever, Charles wrote:

charles-

[ snip ]

We'll see if this disappears after we've finished migrating
the network
to 1Gbps

In these environments you *must* use TCP, since that has congestion
control capabilities baked into the protocol...

what matters here is flow control. UDP simply doesn't have it.

for gigabit Ethernet, you need flow control at the link level and
at the transport level. so once you have gigabit infrastructure,
be sure you have enabled full gigabit flow control on your servers
and on your switches. then you should use TCP and not UDP so you
have transport layer flow control.

Charles and Trond,
thanks for the advices !
I've upgraded the network cards of the linux machines to Gigabit ethernet cards and used tcp for my nfs mounts.
The problem disappeard so far so i'm pretty happy !
However i'm very disappointed by the throuhput i'm getting on the Gbps network :
When i scp a 473991492 bytes file from one machine to the other, i'm getting 14Mbps throughput, which is far less that 1Gpbs theoretical.
Looking at the network card info ( i'm using the sk98lin driver ) i've :
Mar 18 14:49:15 omnirot kernel: eth0: network connection up using port A
Mar 18 14:49:15 omnirot kernel: speed: 1000
Mar 18 14:49:15 omnirot kernel: autonegotiation: yes
Mar 18 14:49:15 omnirot kernel: duplex mode: full
Mar 18 14:49:15 omnirot kernel: flowctrl: symmetric
Mar 18 14:49:15 omnirot kernel: role: slave
Mar 18 14:49:15 omnirot kernel: irq moderation: disabled
Mar 18 14:49:15 omnirot kernel: scatter-gather: enabled

The switch i'm using is a Netgear GS516T

i've tried transferring to/from 2 linux machines connected to this switch using the exact same kernel and network cards and also to Mac Xserv using a Gbps card . They both yield the same low throuput.
Any hint of what could be causing this ?
Thanks in advance.

Charles-Edouard Ruault
Idtect SA
tel: +33-1-42-81-81-84