Re: New documentation file - SuccessfulProjects.txt

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 23:56:45 EST

Nivedita Singhvi <niv@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This draft is a start on a Documentation file for new Linux
> projects in the family of SubmittingPatches and CodingStyle.
>
> It attempts to capture advice kernel maintainers repeatedly give
> to large Linux project developers, especially those new to Linux.
> With an increasing amount of software development taking place
> in the Linux environment, it is hoped this contributes in some
> small way to help people avoid the mistakes of those who have gone
> before them in getting their code accepted into the Linux kernel.
> Inspired by Andrew Morton's post on lkml just a while back on this
> subject.
>
> If including this file in the Documentation directory is agreed to,
> I'll be glad to incorporate feedback and resubmit.
>
> Any thoughts?

Looks useful, thanks. I guess I'm not really in the target audience, so
I'll probably miss things.

> --------------------
> File: SuccessfulProjects.txt
> Date: 3/14/04
> Title: How To Run A Successful Linux Project
>
> " How to improve your chances of launching and sustaining a successful Linux
> project, get your code or technology accepted into the Linux kernel and
> adopted by the community, earn fame (or employment, or at least continued
> employment, or well, at least not completely waste your spare time), all
> without losing your hair and your sanity. "
>
> Goal
> ====
> - Increase the success rate of Linux development projects
> - Reduce the burden on the kernel maintainers and the community
> - Decrease the angst and conflict experienced by project developers
> - Make software development faster and more efficient
> - Make users, consumers of those software projects happier

- Use the kernel's review processes and testing base to increase the
quality of your software.

> Introduction
> ============
> Most of the information here is very basic, obvious and covered frequently in a
> multitude of places, at length. However, it is also difficult to locate in one
> convenient place, and ignored frequently enough to provoke the presence of this
> file in the kernel Documentation subdirectory.
>

> Tips
> ====

Read Documentation/CodingStyle! If the code doesn't look like kernel code
you've just made things much harder for yourself.

> 1]. Become familiar with Linux kernel development!
> 1.1 Who are the maintainers affected?
> Learn who the maintainers are for the subsystems affected by your project,
> and for the various releases, especially for the releases you intend to
> provide code to.
> 2.4 -> Marcelo Tosatti
> 2.6 -> Andrew Morton
> development -> Linus
> Maintainers file -> current list of maintainers

./MAINTAINERS

> 1.2 Which are the mailing lists you need?
> Learn which mailing lists cover development in the areas affected by your
> project. It is always a good idea to involve the kernel community or
> sub-community as the case may be - which involves posting to the right
> mailing lists. Solicit advice on which lists are appropriate.
> You can start by checking the MARC archives to find the right lists.
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/

Well. Hopefully simply *reading* the mailing lists will help get people up
to speed.

> 1.3 Learn Linux Kernel Mailing List (lkml) etiquette
> Read the Linux Kernel Mailing List FAQ.
> http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>
> 1.4 Which Linux source tree?
> Learn what a stable release and what a development release is.
> Read the Linux FAQ.
> http://en.tldp.org/FAQ/Linux-FAQ/index.html
> This is, admittedly, already slightly out of date.

It would be a good idea to spell this out here. People often do
development against kernels which, frankly, are not development kernels.

Apart from that, heck, why not? Please run up a diff.