Re: 10MB buffer

From: Carl Spalletta
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 15:39:54 EST

> I am running a SuSE 2.4.19 Kernel and have a requirement
> to allocate a 10MB buffer (page aligned).

I suppose you mean contiguous in physical memory?
And accessible from userspace?

> Is this possbile via alloc_bootmem_pages?

This may be impossbile [sic].
see www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/guide/html/understand/node37.html

also see LKML thread "Re: mapping physical memory":

"tell the kernel that you have 8MB *less* RAM than is actually present
using a "mem=" directive at boot, then grab that last piece of memory
by mmap'ing /dev/mem."

see utah-glx.sourceforge.net/memory-usage.html