Re: TLD.rmk.(none) junk in BitKeeper logs where BK_HOST belongs?

From: Russell King
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 14:52:15 EST

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 08:41:54PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > He does it on purpose. Apparently there is some UK law that may make it
> > illegal to export other peoples email addresses without express consent,
> > so rmk corrupts them with a script..
>
> Two notes:
> 1.
> This could be handled by only including patches of those people who
> consent to their address being published,

This requires me to keep a database of peoples addresses who have
consented. No thanks, that's a huge overhead and waste of time.

> 2.
> The user does not have to give a routable mail address in
> BK_USER/BK_HOST, but he can set BK_HOST to whatever he wants.

Indeed, so I set BK_HOST to something else.

> If the whole corruption is intentional, then I'd suggest that RMK
> participates in the maintenance of the lk-changelog.pl aka. shortlog
> script.

Again, no thanks, I'm already busy enough as it is.

> I have no chance to resolve common names through
> google/lbdb/grep -r on the suspect source files unless the address is
> there. There are so many people called Jonas Larsson - how do I know if
> that fellow has a middle name?

Have a look in the changesets themselves - you'll find the line "Patch
from" in them, so you can pick out the real persons name from that -
even automatically via a suitable regexp.

Sorry for being so unco-operative on this issue, but I'm doing my best
already.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/