Re: dynamic sched timeslices

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 09:58:12 EST

Kurt Garloff wrote:
Hi,

attached patch allows userspace to tune the scheduling timeslices.
It can be used for a couple of things:
* Tune a workload for batch processing:
You'd probably wnat to use long timeslices in order to not reschedule
as often to make good use of your CPU caches
* Tune a workload for interactive use:
Under load, you may want to reduce the scedulilng latencies by using
shorter timeslices (and there are situations where the interactiviy
tweak -- even if they were perfect -- can't save you).
* Tune the ration betweeen maximum and minimum timeslices to make
nice much nicer e.g.

The patch exports /proc/sys/kernel/max_timeslice and min_timeslice,
unites are us. It also exports HZ (readonly).
The patch implementes the desktop boot parameter which introduces shorter timeslices.

Patch is from andrea and is in our 2.4 tree; 2.6 port was done by me and
straightforward.

Regards,

If this doesn't change the total amount of CPU a process can get but lets a process tweak how its CPU time is divided up, then it sounds wonderful.