Re: [RFC][2.6] Additional i2c adapter flags for i2c clientisolation

From: Adrian Cox
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 08:27:59 EST

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 09:25, Michael Hunold wrote:

> What I'd like to have is that client can specify some sort of "class",
> too, and that i2c adapters can tell the core that only clients where the
> class is matching are allowed to probe their existence.

How about a general "never probe" flag combined with a function to
connect an adapter to a client? High level drivers like DVB or BTTV
could then do something like:
adapter = i2c_bit_add_bus(&my_card_ops);
i2c_connect_client(adapter, &client_ops, address);

This problem comes up a lot, and i2c probing is only necessary for
finding motherboard sensors. For add-in cards and embedded systems the
driver developer normally knows exactly what is wired to what.

- Adrian Cox
http://www.humboldt.co.uk/