Re: Linux 2.4.26-pre2

From: Michael Frank
Date: Sun Mar 07 2004 - 14:44:44 EST

On 07 Mar 2004 10:49:05 -0800, Roland Dreier <roland@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Eyal> In standard C we declare all variables at the top of a
Eyal> function. While some compilers allow extension, it is not a
Eyal> good idea to get used to them if we want portable code.

Horst> Oh, come on. This is _kernel_ code, it won't ever be
Horst> compiled with anything not GCC-compatible.

gcc 2.95 rejects declarations after code. The kernel, especially
kernel 2.4, shouldn't use this particular extension, even if gcc 3
accepts it.

I also use gcc 2.95 and have no intention to change compilers
for 2.4 at all as this compiler is most dependable and never
screwed up unlike 3.1.x and 3.2.2.

Documentation/Codingstyle also refers to K&R who historically
declare variables at the top of a function.

Excerpt:
"all right-thinking people know that
(a) K&R are _right_ and (b) K&R are right"

Regards
Michael