Re: network / performance problems

From: Ron Peterson
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 09:59:40 EST

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Ron Peterson wrote:

> ... thought I'd report that I installed 2.4.21 on a single processor
> about a week ago (1GHz PIII, 500MB, Intel 82820 (ICH2) Chipset w/
> eepro100 module), and am seeing the same bad behaviour.

I've booted with kernel profiling turned on. I've posted some preliminary
results. I don't have profile data yet, but you can see in the following
that when I turn off my iptables rules, the ping latency graph flattens
out.

http://depot.mtholyoke.edu:8080/tmp/tap-sam/2004-03-06_9:30/sam_last_108000.png
http://depot.mtholyoke.edu:8080/tmp/tap-sam/

My understanding is that the kernel profile information will become
interesting when the machine starts thrashing. If it would be useful for
me to dump anything before then, let me know.