Re: problem with cache flush routine for G5?

From: Tom Rini
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 10:17:58 EST

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:04:26AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > ... unless this is a 'G5' that's not in a pmac, it's not my code, and
> > the openfirmware bootloaders don't, IIRC, do any cache stuff.
>
> Heh, well, they should. You need to flush the dcache & invalidate the
> icache over the kernel image after decompressing it. It's just that
> those routines are totally broken as far as I can see, but I don't
> think the pmac bootloaders will use them, they probably use a
> different implementation that works.

I take that back, the openfirmware stuff does have it's own flush_cache
(of course).

> Note that whatever machines are using those routines will probably
> have trouble too anyway

I hate to disappoint Ben, but nothing is having any trouble with that
code, even if it's not exactly right. :)

Regardless, I'll go and make all of the boot code code the same,
working, cache flushing code. Thanks for finding that, Chris.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/