Re: Is there some bug in ext3 in 2.4.25?

From: Michael Frank
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 09:17:12 EST

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:06:02 -0300 (BRT), Marcelo Tosatti <marcelo.tosatti@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

This sounds like memory corruption (which could be caused by a misbehaving
driver or by flaky hardware) because transaction->t_ilist is not used at
all by the kernel code. Did this box run stable with other kernels?

I found a similar report from Michelle (CCed), which can be found at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107529754608448&w=2

Searching a bit more, I found another message from Michelle with
topic "[SOLVED] Kernel-Bug (at checkpoint.c 587)"
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-german/2004/debian-user-german-200401/msg04404.html

Unfortunately the said message is in German, which I can't understand.
Michelle, can you clarify it for me?

Hallo Leute,

Auch wenn ich von der kernel-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx keine Antworterhalten habe, handelt es sich definitiv um einen echten Kernel-
Bug in 2.4.22 der in 2.4.24 offensichtlich nicht mehr vorhandenlist.

Although I have nt received a reply from LKML, it is definitively
a real kernel bug in 2.4.22 which has been fixed in 2.4.24.

Ein weiterer Fehler trat mehrfach in 'exit.c' auf, der ebenfals
nach der Installation von Linux 2.4.24 verschwunden war.

Further bug occuring several times in 'exit.c' has also vanished
after installation of 2.4.24.

Stephen, Andrew, any idea how can transaction->t_ilist become not NULL?