Re: nicksched v30

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 06:31:11 EST

Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:

Nick Piggin wrote:

http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/v30.gz

Applies to kernel 2.6.4-rc1-mm2.
Run X at about nice -10 or -15.
Please report interactivity problems with the default scheduler
before using this one etc etc.

So far i noticed:

with default scheduler:

When I run emerge sync (I am on gentoo) and finally the cache on disk gets updated (very heavy disk activity), default scheduler (in conjunction with cfq, haven' tried other) causes a schmall pause of 1-2 seconds when I use my browser, ie mouse cursor is ok, but I cannot scroll for that time.

Probably just reading stuff in.

your scheduler: I tried it with the "love-sources", so maybe that patch "steel300" incorporated was already a bit outdated, but I dunno. It had the same version as above. When I click on a link in thunderbird and it opens up in firefox (is started and just a new tab is created) the mouses stutters for a brief moment. This didn't happen with default scheduler. I dunno if above sympton happens with yours.

I haven't reniced X withy our patch. But I did it once and I didn't see much of a difference. (I dunno if the mouse stutter went away then...)

If you don't renice X then it doesn't get any special treatment and
interactivity is generally worse. It makes a very big difference here
when I run X at -15.