Re: problem with cache flush routine for G5?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 00:42:20 EST

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

In fact, none of the cache flush code is
relying on supervisor mode, you don't need to add a syscall for
that, just copy the code you need in userland.

That's useful information.

That's wrong. You should flush the cache over the range
where you need it flushed.

Yeah, I know. I'm not sure why they want this.

> Also, there are very few reasons
why one would want to flush the dcache, so it would be interesting
to know what you are really trying to do.

I'll look into it further and see what I can find out.

Assuming that I really did want to flush the whole cache, how would I go about doing that from userspace? Do it like the loop in arch/ppc/boot/common/util.S? How would this interact with virtual addresses? Would I need to mmap an appropriately sized area of kernel memory to get contiguous memory? The app is running as root, so permissions are not an issue.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

--
Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10