Re: problem with cache flush routine for G5?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 19:38:56 EST

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
First of all, why do you need to flush the cache at all ?

In-house OS emulator. For some reason it wants to be able to flush the cache. I don't know why.

If you are talking about the cache flush in the 32 bits bootloaders,
then yes, this seem to be broken, you should ask Tom Rini who
maintain these things.

The kernel proper definitely doesn't contain such a routine.

It did in 2.4, and we added a syscall to export it to userspace. Now I'm supposed to figure out what to do for 2.6, and it appears that the kernel version is gone and the one in boot is screwed.

The only remaining ppc version of flush_data_cache is used by flush_instruction_cache in arc/ppc/boot/common/util.S

There is also another version of flush_instruction_cache implemented in arch/ppc/kernel/misc.S.

Here are the suspicious instances of flush_instruction_cache in arch/ppc/boot:

boot/prep/head.S: bl flush_instruction_cache
boot/common/util.S:_GLOBAL(flush_instruction_cache)
boot/simple/relocate.S: b flush_instruction_cache
boot/simple/relocate.S: b flush_instruction_cache
boot/simple/misc-embedded.c: flush_instruction_cache();

--
Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557