Re: dm-crypt, new IV and standards

From: Jean-Luc Cooke
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 08:37:58 EST

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 05:48:46PM -0800, dean gaudet wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Jean-Luc Cooke wrote:
>
> > The difference between "$1,000,000" and "$8,000,000" is 1 bit. If an
> > attacker knew enough about the layout of the filesystem (modify times on blocks,
> > etc) they could flip a single bit and change your $1Mil purchase order
> > approved by your boss to a $8Mil order.
>
> ah ok i was completely ignoring the desire to prevent data tampering.
>
> you have to admit it's still a bit more effort than flipping 1 bit like
> you suggest since you need to tweak the encrypted data enough so that the
> decrypted data has only 1 bit flipped. (especially if you use CBC like
> you mention.)
>
> something else which i've been wondering about -- would there be any extra
> protection provided by permuting block addresses so that the location of
> wellknown blocks such as the superblock and inode maps aren't so
> immediately obvious? given the lack of known plaintext attacks on AES i'm
> thinking there's no point to permuting, but i'm not a cryptographer, i
> only know enough to be dangerous. (you'd want to choose a permutation
> which makes some effort to group blocks into large enough chunks so that
> *some* seek locality can be maintained.)

I think there is not value in "security though obscurity" when you're
developing an open source application. :)

Like you said, CBC is not trivial to temper with - though it is do able. CTR
is trivial on the other hand. Which is why NIST and every cryptographer will
recommend using a MAC with CTR. (Why still have CTR? Unlike CBC, you can
compute the N+1-th block without needing to know the output from the N-th
block, so there is the possibility for very high parallelizum).

JLC

--
http://www.certainkey.com
Suite 4560 CTTC