Re: Non-GPL export of invalidate_mmap_range

From: Mike Fedyk
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 00:54:04 EST

Paul E. McKenney wrote:
On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:11:32AM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 02:51:32PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't understand why IBM is pushing this dubious change right now,

It isn't a dubious change, on technical grounds. It is reasonable for a
distributed filesystem to want to be able to shoot down pte's which map
sections of pagecache. Just as it is reasonable for the filesystem to be
able to shoot down the pagecache itself.

We've exported much lower-level stuff than this, because some in-kernel
module happened to use it.

Probably not always the right choice, though... I highly suspect we
far to much of our intestines are easily available.

Again, the whole point of the patch is to -reduce- the degree of
intestinal export.

Thanx, Paul

Paul, this still doesn't answer why GPFS can't be released under the GPL.

If this has been answered, I'd love to see a pointer to which archives in which I should search.