Re: kgdb support in vanilla 2.6.2

From: Amit S. Kale
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 00:11:49 EST

On Wednesday 03 Mar 2004 5:22 am, George Anzinger wrote:
> Andrew Morton wrote:
> > George Anzinger <george@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Often it is not clear just why we are in the stub, given that
> >>we trap such things as kernel page faults, NMI watchdog, BUG macros and
> >> such.
> >
> > Yes, that can be confusing. A little printk on the console prior to
> > entering the debugger would be nice.
>
> That assumes that one can do a printk and not run into a lock. Far better
> IMNSHO is to provide a simple way to get it from gdb. One can then even
> provide a gdb macro to print the relevant source line and its surrounds. I
> my lighter moments I call this the comefrom macro :) In my kgdb it would
> look like:
>
> l * kgdb_info.called_from

How about echoing "Waiting for gdb connection" stright into the serial line
without any encoding? Since gdb won't be connected to the other end, and many
a times a minicom could be running at the other end, it'll give a user an
indication of kgdb being ready.
--
Amit Kale
EmSysSoft (http://www.emsyssoft.com)