Hard disk failure messages

From: Måns Rullgård
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 18:08:10 EST

One of my hard disks recently failed again. This time I got these
messages in the kernel log:

hdi: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x20
hdi: DMA timeout retry
hdi: timeout waiting for DMA
hdi: status error: status=0x00 { }

hdi: drive not ready for command
hdi: status error: status=0x00 { }

hdi: drive not ready for command
hdi: status error: status=0x00 { }

hdi: drive not ready for command
hdi: status error: status=0x00 { }

hdi: drive not ready for command
ide4: reset: success
hdi: task_out_intr: status=0x00 { }

hdi: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

hdi: drive not ready for command
hdi: recal_intr: status=0xd0 { Busy }

hdi: DMA disabled
ide4: reset: master: error (0x00?)
hdi: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }

hdi: no DRQ after issuing WRITE_EXT
ide4: reset timed-out, status=0xd0
end_request: I/O error, dev hdi, sector 183519345
raid1: Disk failure on md3, disabling device.
Operation continuing on 1 devices

What do these errors mean more precisely? I'd like to know what
happened. The disk doesn't reply anything meaningful to SMART
queries. hdparm -C reports the disk state as "standby" even though
automatic spindown was not enabled and hdparm -I returns zeros for all
values.

This has happened several times with hdi, using different disks. I
had the shop test one of the disks and got it replaced. The other has
been working will on a different port of the same controller for
months.

In case it matters, these are Seagate Barracuda disks on an hpt374
controller.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@xxxxxx