linux-2.4.25 intermittent (parallel) build failure

From: Andrew Walrond
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 18:38:52 EST

The failure seems occur when doing

mv script.h sim710_d.h

in drivers/scsi. It's not actually a failure, but mv asking if it should
overwrite a mode 444 file. On the occasions that it suceeds, the file seems
to have been given 644 permissions.

I'm not entirely sure what is going on here, or why it is an intermittent
failure. But perhaps the mv's should have a -f to prevent the question?

Perhaps mv is at fault. The documentation says

"If a destination file exists but is normally unwritable, standard
input is a terminal, and the `-f' or `--force' option is not given,
`mv' prompts the user for whether to replace the file. (You might own
the file, or have write permission on its directory.) If the response
does not begin with `y' or `Y', the file is skipped."

I'm not sure why mv would think stdin is a terminal, since it's called by
make.

Anyhow, Perhaps someone cleverer than I can work it out. Or tell me why I'm
being stupid :)

Andrew Walrond