Re: MM VM patches was: 2.6.3-mm4

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 04:29:26 EST

Mike Fedyk wrote:

Nick Piggin wrote:

There are a few things backed out now in 2.6.4-rc1-mm1, and quite a
few other changes. I hope we can trouble you to test 2.6.4-rc1-mm1?

Yes, I saw that, but since I wasn't using the new code, I chose to keep it in the "-mm4" thread. :-D

I'll backport it to 2.6.3 if it doesn't patch with "-F3"...

Actually, see my other post. It is possible you'll have the same
problem.

Tell me, do you have highmem enabled on this system? If so, swapping

Yes, to get that extra 128MB ram. :)

Yeah thats fine. I think this would be the right thing to do,
especially for a file server. It is something that should work.

might be explained by the batching patch. With it, a small highmem
zone could possibly place quite a lot more pressure on a large
ZONE_NORMAL.

2.6.4-rc1-mm1 sould do much better here.

OK, I'll give that one a shot Monday or Tuesday night.

So, I'll merge up 2.6.3 + "vm of rc1-mm1" and tell you guys what I see.

I'm not so hopeful for you anymore :P

Are the graphs helpful at all?

My eyes! The goggles, they do nothing!

They have a lot of good info but I'm a bit hard pressed working
out what kernel is running where, and it's a bit hard working out
all the shades of blue on my crappy little monitor.

But if they were easier to read I reckon they'd be useful ;)