Re: MM VM patches was: 2.6.3-mm4

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 04:13:11 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:

There are a few things backed out now in 2.6.4-rc1-mm1, and quite a
few other changes. I hope we can trouble you to test 2.6.4-rc1-mm1?

Tell me, do you have highmem enabled on this system? If so, swapping
might be explained by the batching patch. With it, a small highmem
zone could possibly place quite a lot more pressure on a large
ZONE_NORMAL.

2.6.4-rc1-mm1 sould do much better here.

Gah no. It would have the same problem actually, if that is indeed
what is happening.

It will take a bit more work to solve this in rc1-mm1. You would
probably want to explicitly use incremental min limits for kswapd.

(background info in kswapd-avoid-higher-zones.patch)