Re: 2.6.3-mm3 hangs on boot x440 (scsi?)

From: john stultz
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 16:27:55 EST

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 06:40, Go Taniguchi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andrew Morton wrote:
> > john stultz <johnstul@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Booting 2.6.3-mm3 on an x440 hangs the box during the SCSI probe after
> >>the following:
> >>
> >>scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
> >> <Adaptec aic7899 Ultra160 SCSI adapter>
> >> aic7899: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs
> >>

> >>I went back to 2.6.3-mm1 (as it was a smaller diff) and the problem was
> >>there as well.
> >

> > Could you try reverting aic7xxx-deadlock-fix.patch? Also, add
> > initcall_debug to the boot command just so we know we aren't blaming the
> > wrong thing.
> >
> > Apart from that, gosh. Maybe you could add just linus.patch and
> > bk-scsi.patch, see if that hangs too? Or just test the latest linus tree -
> > the scsi changes were merged this morning. Thanks.
> >

> Problem patch is expanded-pci-config-space.patch.
> x440 can not enable acpi by dmi_scan.
> expanded-pci-config-space.patch need acpi support.
> So, kernel can not get x440's xAPIC interrupt.

Wow, thanks for that analysis Go! I'll test it here to confirm.

The acpi dmi blacklist entry for the x440 slipped in from United Linux's
2.4 kernel (where there were ACPI issues initially), and I don't believe
it is necessary in 2.6. I've got a patch that reverts that change, but I
want to do more testing first.

thanks
-john